These rules are subordinate to the Club’s Constitution and Safety Procedures.
Access to the Policy, Amendment and Review
These rules will be displayed in the clubroom, in the gym and on the club website. They will be issued by the Rowing Committee and subject to review at the Annual Members’ Meeting.
These rules are applicable to all rowing and gym members.
- These rules have been introduced to ensure, as far as possible, that equipment in the gym and ergo room is maintained in such a state that they are available for all to use. Gym equipment falls under the remit of the Captain and the Rowing Committee. Any issues pertaining to the that equipment or these rules should be addressed to the Captain or a member of the Rowing Committee.
- There will be times, mainly at the club’s Regatta and Small Boats Head, when it is necessary to place the gym and ergo room out of bounds. Such limitations will be notified to members in advance.
- Music playing facilities are available in both the gym and ergo room, they are be kept at a volume that is acceptable to all members using the facility.
Use of the Ergo room
- In order to prevent a build up of stale air in the room, the ventilation fan is to be used and the windows opened. To maintain building security it is important that the windows are closed and locked after use.
- Heavy exercise will result in an individual’s sweat falling onto the ergo, particularly the slide. Where this occurs, members are to clean down the ergo after use.
- To avoid damage, and the risk of injury, the ergo handle is to be placed in its resting position against the fan cage, and is not to be released to return to that position under tension.
- Should it be necessary to remove ergos to another part of the club for training, they are to be returned to the ergo room and re-built, ready for others use.
- At times, particularly during the winter, it will be necessary to reserve the use of the ergo room for junior rowing members during routine coaching sessions. This is normally because there is no alternative training that the club can offer those juniors. Such occasions will be notified to members in advance. During such sessions the juniors and their coaches will take priority over other members, including where another member has commenced use of the equipment prior to the start of the session.
Use of the gym
- Members are asked to remember, and abide by, the rule that a clean and tide gym is a safe gym:
- Water bottles, tissues, towels etc are to be removed from the gym or disposed of in the waste bin.b. Equipment such as weight discs, barbells, or dumbbells are not to be left in the middle of the floor. Loaded barbells are to be broken down when the gym members have finished with them and not left for someone else to break down.
- Weight discs are not to be left leaning against the walls. Weight stands are to be used.
- The positioning of equipment in the gym is not to be changed without recourse to the Captain. If equipment is temporarily moved during a training session it should be replaced at the end of that session.
Updated August 2012